Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2008

File this one under new technologies...


I just heard about something today that reminded me of an article I once read. At risk of being the " I read that somewhere" guy, it really did relate to some interesting innovations in present day cookery. It's a relatively new concept(since the 1990's) that is just becoming popular. It's called sous-vide cooking. You place food, braising liquid and herbs and spices in this airtight bag and cook it for long periods of time. The biggest benefit is that it allows the entirety of your food product to absorb the flavors you intend throughout, especially good for tougher meats and stewed items. Recently taken further as just vacuum cooking(especially used in Cantonese cuisine) the food also happens to increase risks for botulism because of it's low temperatures and long cooking times. That's the downside I'm guessing.
This subject intrigues me. I think I'll research it more and do a write-up on it later on. Send me any info you may have/ funny stories about wet grey meat out of a bag. Until then my skinny friends...

MK

Here are some examples on the web of what I'm getting at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_flask_cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

No comments: